Wednesday, April 27, 2011

EROEI of Texas pumpjacks

For a long time I've been wondering about the amount of effort it takes to obtain energy, whether it's pumping oil, digging coal or manufacturing solar panels.

In this first post, I'll explore a simple concept: the Energy Return on Energy Invested (EROEI) of that icon of oil production, the pumpjack. To be more specific, I'll be looking into a Texas pumpjack: how many barrels does it produce in a day, and how much energy is needed to get that energy out?

I'm at this point only interested in the amount of energy required to make the pumpjack go up and down. Of course it took effort (skills, materials, energy) to discover the oil, drill the well and build infrastructure manufacture, but I'll leave that for another time.

Returns
So let's start with the returns. I'm brushing with broad strokes here. According to the Texas Railroad Commission, Texas produced 349 million barrels in 2009 from 157,807 wells. I'm assuming this is not counting the federal offshore fields. Further assuming that ALL Texas oil was produced using pumpjacks, and that there's one pumpjack per well, each pumpjack produced 2212 barrels in 2009--just over 6 barrels a day. Now, by taking the amount of energy released by burning a barrel of oil to be 6.1 GJ, a pumpjack produces 37 GJ worth of energy.

Investment
Now for the energy invested. I'm assuming from this thread that a typical pump jack uses a 40kW electrical motor, running 24/7. Assuming 100% efficiency (!!!) That's 60x60x24x40kWe = 3456 MJ or ~3.5 GJ.

EROEI
Simply dividing the former by the latter, the EROEI of a Texas pumpjack is slightly better than 10:1 IF the energy values of oil and electrical energy can be interchanged without loss.

Of course, crude oil is generally not used for heating or electricity production, and electricity is generally not used to drive a car (although that's changing), so this number can be deceptive--it merely gives an indication.

Conclusion: cut out the middle man?
Concluding this post --and this is me speculating--, it's interesting to note that a fossil-fueled/coal based power station never exceeds 50% efficiency, excluding transportation losses. Coal is by far the most common source of electricity, I'd guess.

That means at least 7 GJ worth of "coal energy" is needed to produce 37 GJ of "Texas crude energy" in one day. A combustion engine converts chemical into mechanical energy at an efficiency of ~33%, so only around 12 GJ of "Texas crude energy" gets released as mechanical energy by  burning 7 GJ of coal, out of an initial 37 GJ.

Which almost means that (and I'm really taking this into the extreme), when you trade in your SUV for a small electric car that runs on coal-generated electricity, you can just as well leave the oil in the ground that would otherwise be used... A.k.a. cut out the middle man... But, as they say, your mileage may vary!

(P.S. Any comments, corrections, suggestions for better data and/or methodology are very welcome!)

5 comments:

  1. Why guess - coal is 45% of US generation: http://www.eia.doe.gov/electricity/.

    And the efficiency of thermal generation plants is closer to 1/3 than 1/2, generally 35-40%. So your estimate of 7GJ coal to extract the oil is actually optimistic. More like 10. And then, how much oil in the form of diesel fuel is needed to mine and transport that coal? Like a snake eating its tail, EROEI is coming around to take ever growing bites out of our gross energy consumption. And I use gross in both its meanings.

    Good, not great, post. But thanks for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clifman--thanks for your helpful words!

    Originally I wasn't going to do calculations on coal plant/IC efficiencies, hence the broad generalization. I was being lazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cut out the middleman? Ha. Athabasca oil sands with its army of middlemen running the greatest Rube Goldberg machine of all time might have something to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The average well is producing about 250 gallons of crude - that's only .16 gallons per minute. I have a very hard time believing that they're using the full 50HP to do that.

    I'd guess they're 10-20% loaded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'M NOW FULFILL FINANCIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOAN I GOT FROM LFDS .I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how i came in contact with Mr Benjamin after i lost my job and being denied loan by my bank and other financial institution due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then i set out to seek for funds online where i lost $3,670 that i borrowed from friends which i was rip off by two online loan companies. Until i read about:loan online (247officedept@gmail.com) somewhere on the internet, Still wasn't convince because of what i have been through until a relative of mine who is a clergy also told me about the ongoing loan scheme  at a very low interest rate of 1.9%% and lovely repayment terms without penalty for default of payment. I have no choice than to also contact them which i did through text +1-989-394-3740 and Mr Benjamin responded back to me That day was the I'M best and greatest day of my life which can never be forgotten when i receive a credit alert of $400,000.00 Usd loan amount i applied for. I utilized the loan effectively to pay up my debts and to start up a business and today i and my kids are so happy and fulfill. You can as well contact them through email: (247officedept@gmail.com)  WhatsApptext  helpline: +1-989-394-3740 Why am i doing this? I am doing this to save as many that are in need of a loan not to be victim of scams on the internet. Thanks and God bless you all, I'm Oleksander Artem from Horizon Park BC , Ukrain.

    ReplyDelete